chigham

chigham

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Month

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother - Amy Chua Amy Chua writes a memoir about how she raised her daughters in the "Chinese" (strict) parenting style vs. "Western" (lax) parenting style. They practice for hours on end and have to get great grades, etc. It is harsh and mean and borderline abusive, except not and she clearly loves her girls and is very strict but also very proud of them. A lot of this resonated with me, especially the idea that if a child finds success (and the praise and self-confidence that goes with it) they will be motivated to be more successful. This is why they drill/practice, etc. I also liked that the practicing was very much deliberate practice. Some of the tactics were normal parenting mistakes (like making the kids practice forever when they were being rebellious). It was interesting. Sophia the oldest seems to just be perfect, but Lulu the youngest rebels every step of the way and ultimately Chua and Lulu have to re-examine the parenting style. I enjoyed her writing style--direct, to the point, witty, and honest. I thought she got a little didactic in some places, but she was questioning enough that I still felt it was ok. I flew through the book in one evening and would recommend it as one of many parenting books.